I'm blue dabu di dabu da...or something down those lines... This cake turned out just as I imagined it would! No worries - your smartphone, tablet, laptop is working fine, it IS quite a blue cake! Blueberries, zingy lemon, crunchy poppy seeds and coconut aftertaste, they all come together rather well.
It's a cake full of goodness too, so besides being a sweet treat it might actually provide you with some nutrients. Lemon - rich source of vitamin C, blueberries - source of vitamin C, antioxidant properties, help maintain eye health and also low in calories, poppy seeds - source of omega-3 and omega-9, rich in manganese, copper and calcium.
How to make it...
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp blueberry flavoured soy yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp black poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- The cake is made within minutes, literally, so turn on your oven to preheat before you start making the batter, set it to 180C.
- In a jug whisk together coconut milk, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, sunflower oil and sugar.
- In a separate bowl (big enough to hold all the ingredients) mix dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ones. Fold together until it's all well incorporated, but try not to overmix it.
- Fold in 1 cup of fresh blueberries.
- Transfer the batter to a lined bread baking tin (pound tin).
- Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes, or until well risen and and when pierced with a tooth pick it comes out dry and clean.
- Take out of the tin and let cool on a wire rack. Keep covered at room temperature.
You may also like:
Have you made any of my recipes? Tag @anulaskitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #anulaskitchen