Lemon curd dates back to 1800's. It's used as a rich dessert topping or simply a spread - I'm looking at you, all the lemon fans... The curd can be made using any citrus fruit, like lime, lemon, orange, but there are also other variations with raspberries, mango or passionfruit. I like mine very traditional, with lemon all the way. But how do you make a vegan version of something that is made using mainly... eggs?! Well, silken tofu to the rescue.
Tofu and coconut milk will make this spread super silky and creamy. They are the main ingredients to this recipe's success. If you like lemons (or other citrus fruit), if you're looking for something to top your morning toast with, to put between your sponge cake layers, to secretly eat at night with a spoon - look no more.
How to make it...
Ingredients:- 175 ml lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 340 g silken tofu
- 120 ml coconut milk
- 110 ml water
- 280 g caster sugar
- 3 1/2 Tbsp corn flour
- pinch of salt
- In a plastic bowl using an immersion blender, or a liquidizer, blend everything until smooth consistency (hand immersion blender works best for me).
- Pour it all into a non stick pot and heat over medium heat.
- Keep whisking constantly until it starts to bubble.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until you cook off the flour, when you taste it you you shouldn't feel the flour on your tongue anymore, it should be silky smooth.
- Transfer into a little jar and store in the fridge for up to 10 days.