Nothing says Fall better than a big, round, orange pumpkin (not necessary with a scary face on it ;) ). I love all things pumpkin - pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, pumpkin latte, pumpkin cookies and also pumpkin pie spice, which you can add to almost anything and everything! Unfortunately it's quite difficult to buy ready made pumpkin pie spice here in Ireland, but it's so easy to make your own!
Below a very simple mix of spices (which you may all have already sitting in your cupboard). When using the pumpkin pie spice I usually add some freshly grated zest of orange to all my baked goods, it gives them that extra zing, lifts it up.
Because pumpkin pie spice is so versatile you can use it in many ways:
* Add it to your coffee - mix it with your coffee grounds and brew your coffee as usual, or sprinkle it on top of your latte or cappuccino
* Mix it into whipped cream - perfect accompaniment to pies and other desserts
* Stir it into a pancake mix
* Sprinkle it on a tray with roast vegetables - make a tray of your usual roast vegetable mix, season with salt, pepper and olive and add a bit of pumpkin spice. This time of the year use seasonal vegetables like pumpkins, sweet potatoes, carrots.
* Add it to your oatmeal or granola mix
* Add a bit of it to your cookie dough or cakes
* Add it to your pasta dishes
* Season your popcorn with it!
If you have any more ideas/uses for pumpkin pie spice please share them with us in the comment section! :)
How to make it...
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- freshly grated zest of orange, at the time of using the spice (optional)
Mix all spices together, working out any eventual lumps. Store the mixed spices in an old spice jar.
When using the spice you can add a bit of freshly grated orange zest.
You may also like:
Pumpkin and coconut bars Pumpkin fritters
All the Autumn photos used in this post were taken by my sister in law, very talented freelance photographer, her work can be found here fotocudnie.pl