Original recipe called for thick, butter based icing. I'm not a fan of those and I know it wouldn't go down well in my house either, so I simplified. I made a simple icing of Earl Grey concentrate mixed with icing sugar but the cupcakes looked "sad". I started thinking what goes well with a good "cuppa" and lemon was one of the first things I thought of. Luckily I had some mixed peal which both - looked pretty and gave a little bit of "zing" to the cupcakes!
How to make it...
For the sponge:
- 3 Earl Grey teabags
- 3 tablespoons just-boiled water
- 80 g unsalted butter, softened
- 280 g caster sugar (I gave only 150 g)
- 240 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml whole milk
- 2 large eggs
For the frosting (as per the cook book):
- 50 ml whole milk
- 500 g icing sugar
- 160 g unsalted butter, softened
Anula's simple frosting:
- saved Earl Grey tea bags, + 1 tablespoon warm water
- icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mixed peal
Mix infused Earl grey tea with enough of icing sugar to make a little runny paste. Quickly cover your cupcakes before the sugar sets. Sprinkle some chopped mixed peal on top. Leave to set.
You may also like:
Lemon curd and strawberry cupcakes
Vanilla & blackberry cupcakes